Pest Control: Mosquitoes
Culex species and others
Mosquitoes are one of the best known pests in the world. Their bites are annoying and often spread diseases like the West Nile virus, malaria, yellow fever, dengue fever and encephalitis. They have a tendency to bite most at dusk and dawn. Steps should be taken to reduce breeding areas around your home.
Mostly gray with white, silver, green or iridescent blue scales
¼ – ⅜ inch long
Typically feed on nectar
Females require one blood meal before
Prefer areas with stagnant water or soft oil in order to breed
Found throughout the world
- Eliminate standing water around home
- Put screens on all doors and windows
- Be aware of the time of day- avoid being outside between dusk and dawn
- Wear long pants and sleeves
- Use insect repellant that contains DEET.