Pest Control: Mosquitoes
Culex species and others
Mosquitoes are one of the best-known pests in the world. Their bites are annoying and often spread diseases like the West Nile virus, malaria, yellow fever, dengue fever, and encephalitis. They have a tendency to bite most at dusk and dawn. Steps should be taken to reduce breeding areas around your home.
Mostly gray with white, silver, green or iridescent blue scales
¼ – ⅜ inch long
Typically feed on nectar
Females require one blood meal before
Prefer areas with stagnant water or soft oil in order to breed
Found throughout the world
- Eliminate standing water around home
- Put screens on all doors and windows
- Be aware of the time of day- avoid being outside between dusk and dawn
- Wear long pants and sleeves
- Use insect repellant that contains DEET.